Student Illness and Accidents (a standard notification piece)

At this time early in the school year it is a good idea to remind parents about the necessity to keep us up to date with phone numbers and emergency contact details. If your child is ill at school, or suffers an accident, then staff will give immediate care and appropriate first aid.  However, it is necessary on occasions to contact parents and we often face out of date information that delays this process.  Please make sure you notify the Office of any changes to yours or your Emergency Contact details.  Obviously in extreme cases we may also deem it necessary to call an Ambulance before consulting parents and you need to be aware of this.  Please also keep the Office informed of any change in medical issues faced by your children as this helps us to make the best choices for their welfare.

Parents and guardians should also be aware that they are generally responsible for paying the cost of medical treatment for injured students, including any Ambulance transport costs. Most medical costs will be refundable by Medicare.  If you are a member of an ambulance or health insurance fund, you may also be able to claim transport or other expenses from the fund.  The Department of Education and Training (DET) does not hold accident insurance for school students.

Is other Insurance available? Yes.

There are commercial providers of insurance for students and they can be found online or through your Insurance Broker.

Students, Parents & Staff Personal Property

On a similar topic, personal property is often brought to school by students, staff and visitors. This can include mobile phones, calculators, toys, sporting equipment and cars parked on school premises.


Please note the DET does not hold insurance for personal property brought to schools and it will generally not pay for any loss or damage to such property.