For many years our school has supported the Foothills Church in various ways such as food drives at Christmas time. The group sent us an email thanking our community for their ongoing support. They included a list of some of the ways they work within the community. We wanted to include this so our families could see some of their great efforts. There is some information at the bottom regarding an upcoming fundraising event if anyone is interested.
- Upwey Community Meal, Monday nights since 2015, serving up to 100 people each week,
- Ferntree Gully Community Meal, Wednesday nights, since 2007, serving up to 80 people each week,
- Community Casserolessince 2015 providing 100 home cooked frozen meals per month to struggling people with in the hills area,
- Dandenong Ranges DV Peer Support Group, since 2017, supporting over 50 women and children who have experienced domestic violence,
- Ferntree Gully Christmas Day Lunchsince 2001, supporting 250 people each Christmas,
- Ferntree Gully Boarding House Outreach, since 2018 weekly outreach and support to our local community,
- Knox Council Citizenship Suppers, since 2003, providing supper to new Citizens and their families post ceremony,
- Foothills Barista & Hospitality Trainingsince 2017, supporting isolated people with accredited training.
Some of our recipients have said recently;
“Coming along to these meal nights not only provides me with a healthy meal, but helps me feel safe.”
“Your meals and support have helped me and my children from becoming homeless”
“I have found our group to be an immeasurable source of emotional and practical support whilst experiencing the fallout from DV, and the trauma of family court.”
“Thank you for providing us with your meals, I felt very supported and it was a blessing to have your help as I was exhausted after being unwell and it helped my family heaps, gave me some much-needed respite and nourishment.”
All this would not have been possible without the support of our more than 200 volunteers, our partner organisations who donate all manner of products to us on a regular basis and our financial supporters.
In order to celebrate the year just past and fill you in on our plans for the coming year, Foothills is hosting a Supporters Celebratory Meal on Thursday June 6 at our Upwey centre.
At this meal, our supporters will be invited to share in a typical Foothills meal service, similar to what we would serve at one of our community meals using mainly rescued food. You will also mingle with those who make Foothills work.
In addition, the team at Foothills will share stories and explain how you can partner with us to continue to offer support to those in need.
Tickets for our dinner are $30 per head and can be purchased online via this link through TryBookings.
Why not invite others and make up a table of 6.
The night will be held at Upwey Baptist Church, doors open from 6pm for pre dinner nibbles and the main meal commencing at 6.30pm.
Attached to this email is a flyer for this meal. We do hope you and other members of your family, community or workplace will be able to join us on this night.
We also have a facebook events page for you to share as well.
We look forward to seeing you on June 6.
CEO, Foothills Community Care